Sunday, April 5, 2009

Comic Night: Watchmen The Complete Motion Comic



Who watches the Watchmen?

Not the live-action recent Watchmen movie. I have a few notes before I begin this review that I feel the need to write down.

Note 1: I have not seen this series before, this will be my first impression of the comic and will be written a short time after I have finished the series and reflected upon it.

Note 2: This series keeps true to it's title. It is the complete motion comic, it is moving parts of the comic strip by the looks of it. They're not animated in the traditional ways that we find in most American cartoons or in Japanese anime, it is quite unique.

Note 3: I go into this series with little prior knowledge to the plot. I have not seen the Live-action movie that has recently appeared in theaters nor have I read the comic. The only knowledge that I have beforehand is this taken straight from wikipedia:


Watchmen is set in an alternate reality which closely mirrors the contemporary world of the 1980s. The primary point of divergence is the presence of superheroes. Their existence in this iteration of America is shown to have dramatically affected and altered the outcomes of real-world events such as the Vietnam War and the presidency of Richard Nixon.[16] In keeping with the realism of the series, although the costumed crime fighters of Watchmen are commonly called "superheroes", the only character who possesses obvious superhuman powers is Doctor Manhattan.[17] The existence of Doctor Manhattan has given the U.S. a strategic advantage over the Soviet Union, which has increased tensions between the two nations. Additionally, superheroes have become unpopular among the public, which has led to the passage of legislation in 1977 to outlaw them. While many of the heroes retired, Doctor Manhattan and The Comedian operate as government-sanctioned agents, and Rorschach continues to operate outside the law.[18]

And now for my review.
I found that the comic was quite enjoyable. Its gritty and violent, but it does so in a way that reminds me of Full Metal Jacket. It reminds me of reading The Punisher comics due to this, but its very unique. I'll keep this review short so that I can have more to say about the Motion Picture that recently came out when I have my hands on it.

Overall I found it to be enjoyable and it made me take another look at society, there are some very powerful themes and quotes in this movie that I felt make quite an impact. Sorry for cutting the review short, I am really looking forward to the Watchmen movie now and will be making a more in depth review on that later on.


No comments:

Post a Comment