Saturday, April 4, 2009

Musical Interlude: Fly me to the moon

It is rare, but there are times when a song will be made that will go far beyond a single age. These songs are what we all come to know as classics. These few great songs transcend the limits of generation.

Fly me to the moon was originally recorded by Kaye Ballard in 1954, since then we have seen hundreds of performers sing and dance to this song. These performers range from artists such as Nat King Cole in 1961 to Connie Francis in 1962 who made the song an international hit by singing it in Italian. Of all the famous artists that have performed this song, none have stuck out nearly as much as Frank Sinatra. Frank first performed the song in 1964, this version was slightly different than previous versions so that it would fit his singing style of Swing.

Personally I have always enjoyed this song and have heard many different versions by many different artists over the years. Classics like this don't just get made every day.

Link to Frank Sinatra singing in 1965

Fly me to the moon
Let me sing among those stars
Let me see what spring is like
On jupiter and mars

In other words, hold my hand
In other words, baby kiss me

Fill my heart with song
Let me sing for ever more
You are all I long for
All I worship and adore

In other words, please be true
In other words, I love you

No comments:

Post a Comment