Thursday, May 7, 2009

Movie Night: The Watchmen

I assume that by now you've seen my previous review on this subject. Back then it was of the comic, now its of the live action movie. I attempted to go through this movie with a clear mind. I tried not to think back to watching the comic at all, but in a case like this it can prove to be very difficult. This review will be pretty short though since the movie does not differ very much from the comic. Even the costumes come out looking absolutely perfect.

Luckily, this movie was good enough that it easily stands alone. You need absolutely no prior knowledge of the comic to understand what is going on and to jump straight into the movie. A bit of American History knowledge may help make the movie go down a bit smoother, but even that is not absolutely necessary. This ability to stand alone makes it much easier to show to newer generations that have not had a chance to see the old comic or to really know much about the history of America in the first place. Though I would never suggest a child see this movie due to the graphic nature.

The movie follows the comic pretty well, to a certain point. It differs in the main plot though seeing as Ozymadias instead of making a huge hoax that looks like aliens are attacking the earth, makes it look like Doc Manhattan is attacking. It has the same desired effect of making the world work together to face this new threat instead of blowing each other apart. Other than that though, it stays very true to the original comic. I enjoyed the movie, though I must say that the ending still gets to me a little. My favorite character's death is still just as gruesome. Rest well Rorschach.

No comments:

Post a Comment